CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY TIPS

CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY TIPS

Every year, more than 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning, and another 20,000 visits the emergency room, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The danger is greatest in the wintertime because your furnace and other fuel-burning appliances can emit odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas, causing you to fall ill before you realize that something has gone wrong. Infants, the elderly, and people with chronic illnesses are especially susceptible. How can you avoid being stricken by this potentially deadly gas? Follow these tips to keep your home safe for you and your family.

  • Use Carbon Monoxide Detectors: They’re inexpensive, easy to install and they can save your life. Put one on each level of your home, just like you do for smoke detectors. Unlike smoke detectors, however, carbon monoxide detectors should be placed low. The gas is heavier than air, so a detector that plugs into the wall is one option. If you choose this type, make sure they have a battery backup so they will still function when the power goes out. Check the batteries twice a year.
  • Get Your Furnace Serviced: You should have an expert give your heating system an annual checkup, paying particular attention to the furnace, boiler, water heater, and any other equipment that burns gas or oil. The technician can optimize your unit’s performance, patch any leaks and solve impending problems before they occur.
  • Clean Your Chimney: If you have a wood stove or fireplace, make sure it is properly ventilated and able to draw smoke up the chimney. If it gets blocked, the gas can back up into your house, putting your family at risk.
  • Don’t Make Amateur Repairs: If you find a leak in your HVAC system, don’t try to fix it yourself unless you’re a qualified technician. Duct tape is not actually an effective means of patching ductwork. When in doubt, call a professional.
  • Keep Grills and Generators Outdoors: Never operate a grill indoors, whether it’s charcoal-fueled or gas. This includes the basement or garage. And if you use a generator, make sure it is outside with plenty of ventilation. Carbon monoxide can build up inside even when you have doors and windows open.
  • Pull the Car Out: Once you turn your car on, don’t linger in the garage, or gasses can quickly accumulate.

If your CO detector goes off, turn off your fuel-burning appliances immediately, open the doors and windows and exit the house. Call a qualified HVAC technician and seek emergency medical assistance if anyone in the house experiences headaches, dizziness, or nausea. Carbon monoxide binds to your blood and prevents oxygen from circulating through your body, so it’s essential to receive medical treatment if you have been exposed.

Related Articles

How Do You Decide Whether To Replace Or Repair Your AC?

There are numerous factors to consider when choosing whether to repair or call experts for an air conditioning replacement in Clifton. These include the unit’s …

Read More

What Are The Benefits Of Installing Air Conditioning Systems?

With the temperature constantly increasing in New Jersey, people rely on their conditioning appliances to remain cool and comfortable throughout the humidity. However, due to …

Read More